Re: [regression bisected] HR-timers bug >=2.6.25

From: Justin Madru
Date: Fri May 16 2008 - 13:26:32 EST

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
The kernel doesn't hang, right? My reading of the description tells me
the splash just doesn't work.

If it does hang the kernel, an NMI trace collected over serial or
netconsole (regular console being out of the question since its
graphical stuff :/) would be most helpful.

I've seen it blank out in 2 different ways.

1) Usplash completely finishes. Then screen goes blank for the usual mode change/screen refreshing,
doing several refreshes of a blank screen. But, the screen then stays black.
I do still hear the gdm sound, and can switch to a console.
Pressing ctrl+alt+f1 makes the screen "refresh" again, but stay blank/black. I can still login but blindly.

2) More rarely. Usplash hasn't finished (but near the end). The usplash screen fades out to black.
It's like a screen burn in, or after image; the screen slowly fades out to black.
After this the computer is _seemingly_unresponsive_ - Only alt+sysrq+b seems to work. (I have to hard reset)
After I reboot the backlight is at the lowest level.

Anyways, I think I can figure out how to set up a netconsole, but
is there something more to setup a NMI trace? I found Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt
But, it doesn't say anything about a NMI trace.

Justin