Re: spontaneous reboots and hangs on x86_64

From: Vegard Nossum
Date: Fri May 16 2008 - 04:13:44 EST

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 7:37 AM, Mariusz Kozlowski
<m.kozlowski@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,

>> > This would indicate something wrong with your clone of linux-next. How
>> > did you create the repository?

>> > Any day's linux-next tree is a git tree like any other ...
>>
>> Hm it can be that I did something wrong ...
>
> and I did :/ I think I just started this repo in wrong way - according to linux-next FAQ.
> I'll just start from scratch then.

You need to be on a branch. If git-branch says this:

$ git branch
* (no branch)

then git will not allow you to bisect:

$ git bisect start v2.6.24 v2.6.25
fatal: ref HEAD is not a symbolic ref
Bad HEAD - I need a symbolic ref

Try first checkout out a new branch:

$ git checkout -b bisect
Switched to a new branch "bisect"

$ git bisect start v2.6.24 v2.6.25
Switched to branch "master"

Good luck!

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it