Re: Virt RNG?

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Thu May 15 2008 - 15:56:36 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Has anyone yet written a "hw" RNG module for virt, that reads the host's random number pool?

All this talk[1] about IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM in network drivers reminds me that virt guest instances should be grabbing random numbers from the host, especially if the host has a hardware RNG.

It was actually one of the first device types proposed for what would become virtio, but as far as I know there has been no work on such a device. It certainly makes lots of sense.