Re: [announce] "kill the Big Kernel Lock (BKL)" tree

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu May 15 2008 - 11:11:22 EST

John Stoffel wrote:

> Andi> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>> No, we really do want to get rid of BKL in old drivers too. Or at least in
>>> the interfaces.
>
> Andi> In the interfaces definitely yes and all subsystems should have
> Andi> their own lock_kernel calls, but why in the old drivers? For
> Andi> those it's very unlikely they are used on any SMP system anyways
> Andi> (e.g. anything depending on CONFIG_ISA) or if they do only on 2
> Andi> CPU systems.
>
> I'm still running an SMP server with ISA slots.

I do too (although one CPU has died recently), but how many ISA devices
do you use in it? Mine used to have a ISA ISDN card, but that was it
and then no ISA anymore even though the slots are still in there.

Also on 2 CPU systems BKL is not that critical anyways. It only starts
to hurt on larger CPU counts.

-Andi