Re: [announce] "kill the Big Kernel Lock (BKL)" tree

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 17:29:25 EST

> > So you just stick unlock_kernel()/lock_kernel() around the call
> > to TTY (or similar to the entry points)
> >

> ... assuming that the ISDN code doesn't assume lock continuity across
> the TTY call.

And procfs and between the tty and the net config code and ...

Keeping the BKL just in legacy places doesn't work. A counting mutex (ie
one you can self multi-lock) might be very useful to fix some of these
however as once we push it down to the point of being a driver specific
lock we can just give it a driver mutex