Re: [announce] "kill the Big Kernel Lock (BKL)" tree

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 14:42:21 EST

On Wed, 14 May 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Linus, Alan: the increased visibility and debuggability of the BKL
> already uncovered a rather serious regression in upstream -git. You
> might want to cherry pick this single fix, it will apply just fine to
> current -git:

Ok, so I'm obviously happy. This is exactly the kind of thing I would want
to see.

That said, the way it is now set up, it's unreasonable to merge anything
directly, and while I can cherry-pick obvious fixes this way, I do think
we could do things better.

It should be possible to set things up so that it's a config option, and
we can mark it EXPERIMENTAL but still merge it into the standard kernel,
so that we'd have the debug stuff there. That would get a lot more
coverage, especially if it all still *works*, even if the debug stuff then
complains (ie it would be nicer if the lock itself didn't start breaking).

So for example, have CONFIG_DEBUG_BKL turn it into a mutex (and select
mutex debugging), and get all the debug coverage that way, but then when
somebody enters the scheduler with the lock held, first complain, but then
auto-release it anyway. That way, bugs get found and complained about, but
hopefully the machine still ends up working.

Linus