Re: m68k: main.c:(.init.text+0x730): undefined reference to `strlen'

From: Andreas Schwab
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 10:55:58 EST

Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I think it would help to see ..tmp_vmlinux1.cmd to ensure for inclusion
> of lib/lib.a. strlen was there without my patch as Andreas already pointed,
> I've just added strncat wich is coming from lib/string.o for this arch.

Actually the way strncat is used here is broken anyway, it does not
prevent array overrun. The third argument of strncat only limits the
amount of characters copied, without taking into account the length of
the string already in the buffer. Consequently gcc has optimized the
call to strncat into a simple call to strcat, since none of the copied
strings are longer than sizeof(msgbuf). This strcat call is then
expanded to include a call to strlen.

So a better fix would probably be to make msgbuf big enough and use
strcat instead.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, schwab@xxxxxxx
PGP key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756 01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5