Re: Non-working snd-pcsp

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 06:03:58 EST

At Wed, 14 May 2008 07:35:19 +0200,
Roberto Oppedisano wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > [Changed the subject since it's no real regression]
> >
> ACK
> > Could you run "alsactl -f somefile store" and show that file?
> > This will contain the full mixer information.
> >
> Attached.

You turned off both "Master Playback Switch" and "PC Speaker Playback
Switch" of snd-pcsp driver. Then it cannot work.

And, since you loaded the sound driver for on-board sound chip, you'll
likely have to adjust the mixer of that driver, too. The beep can be
hooked to the on-board chip once after initialized.

But I'm wondering why "PC Speaker Playback Switch" and Volume don't
appear in the on-board driver. Which codec (I suppose it's AC97) on
it?

> >> With kmix I can toggle the mute setting (alsamixer still sees it off), but
> >> no sound comes out from the speaker.
> >> I also tried
> >>
> >> echo -e "\a"
> >>
> >> without the module loaded (on old kernel), and the speaker is mute.
> >>
> > When snd-pcsp is built, the input pcspkr is excluded. So, the beep
> > won't work unless snd-pcsp is loaded and activated.
> >
> I tried this on 2.6.25 where:
>
> roppedisano@poppero1:~$ grep PCSP /boot/config-2.6.25
> roppedisano@poppero1:~$
>
> So, if I'm not missing something, I think it should have worked

Weird. If CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR isn't there, the box shouldn't beep at
all. If it still beeps, it must be a bug...

thanks,

Takashi