Re: POHMELFS high performance network filesystem. Transactions, failover,performance.

From: Florian Wiessner
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 21:41:43 EST

Hi,

Jamie Lokier wrote:

Fwiw, I've been working on what started as a distributed database that
is coming to be a filesystem too. It has many qualities of both,
hopefully the best ones. I'm aiming for high LAN file performance
similar to what you report with POHMELFS and would expect from any
modern fs, while also supporting database style transactions and
coherent queries, in a self-organising distributed system that handles
LAN/WAN/Internet each at their best. Mention of Paxos stirred me to
reply - a relative of that is in there somewhere. I have a long way
to go before a release.

If anyone is working on something similar, I would be delighted to
hear from them.

It scares me that I'm actually trying to do this. But very exciting
it is too.

It seems there's quite a bit of interesting work on Linux in this area
right now, with BTRFS and CRFS too.

I am currently working on mysqlfs which is a fuse fs which can be used in conjunction with mysql-ndb cluster.

You can find the details here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqlfs/
and a howto (in german, though) here: http://www.netz-guru.de/2008/04/03/mysqlfs-mit-mysql-ndb-cluster-als-verteiltes-dateisystem/

It is working quite well, but still lacks of caching which makes it slow
if your connection between the DB-servers have high latency/many hops.

I don't know BTRFS nor CRFS or POHMELFS but i will take a look at them.

Hope you'll find that usefull.

--
Florian Wiessner