Re: Tracking and crediting bug reporters

From: Rene Herman
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 11:09:37 EST

On 12-05-08 19:27, Jonathan Corbet wrote:

So here's what we would like to try instead. Whenever somebody sends up a
patch fixing a reported bug, the name of the person who reported the bug
would be immortalized with this tag:

Reported-by: A. Bug Reporter <email@xxxxxxxxx>

In particular, reporters who work with the developers toward the resolution
of the bug should be thanked in this way. If we wanted to take things
further, perhaps we could add a Bisected-by: tag for really hard-core
helpers.

Ingo Molnar recently already used the latter:

and a reply of mine consisted of now also needing a Reported-By:

I must say the Bisected-by thing did feel a bit childish ("ah, I'm not in it to get the bug fixed but to get my name mentioned!") but hey, I find things to be offended over easily. From the example it does seem you probably want both if you have one; if reporter, nailer-downer and fixer are three seperate people.

Rene.