Re: [patch, 2.6.26-rc2] dvb: drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/fdump firmware build error fix

From: Oliver Endriss
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 10:34:40 EST

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:18:15PM +0200, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> > > The point of PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD is to make build testing
> > > with "make randconfig" possible. I think you should ACK
> > > this patch, it doesn't have any downsides for users of
> > > this driver.
> >
> > No. If randconfig deselects both STANDALONE and PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD,
> > the same problem will happen again...
>
> You can put PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y in your allrandom.config.

Sure. And without the patch you can simply add
- STANDALONE=y or
- DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE=n
to your allrandom.config. ;-)

> > The driver depends on STANDALONE, and that should be sufficient:
> > | CONFIG_STANDALONE:
> > | Select this option if you don't have magic firmware for drivers that
> > | need it.
>
> this is for excluding drivers which don't _work_ without firmware
>
> > while CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD means:
> > | CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD:
> > | Say yes to avoid building firmware. Firmware is usually shipped
> > | with the driver, and only when updating the firmware a rebuild
> > | should be made.
>
> and this is for excluding drivers which don't _build_ without firmware
> (badly worded, it certainly doesn't mean to build the firmware,
> but build a C source file from the firmware)

Could someone please confirm this?
If Johannes is right, the help texts are misleeding and need
clarification.

What worries me, is that 'magic' options like CONFIG_STANDALONE and/or
CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD hide options like DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE from
the user. How should the average user know that he has to disable them?
This is not user-friendly!

CU
Oliver