Re: Tracking and crediting bug reporters

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Mon May 12 2008 - 18:00:18 EST

On Monday, 12 of May 2008, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > I cannot add a tag with a third party personal information upon it
> > > without their permission nor can anyone else in a part of the world with
> > > any vaguely resembling privacy laws.
> >
> > IANAL. Unless it's a public information, no? (As reports are.)
>
> If they made it public fine - although building a database of that
> requires care. That was my point. You need specific permission of the bug
> reporter. Given bug reporters may have personal reasons (including 'works
> at Microsoft') and business ones (from 'company policy' to 'three letter
> agency') for not wanting the information public.

Well, don't the mailing list archives build such data bases already?

By posting a report to a mailing list the archives of which are publicly
available, and the LKML is one of those, you make your name and email address
information publicly available and recorded forever anyway, in the context of
the report.

Thanks,
Rafael