Re: 2.6.25-mm1: kmmcd NULL pointer dereference atklist_del+0xe/0x30

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Mon May 12 2008 - 13:11:22 EST

On Fri, 9 May 2008 16:47:38 -0700
Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 May 2008 10:19:56 -0700
> Andy Isaacson <adi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Got this twice with 2.6.25-mm1 on my Thinkpad X40, AData 16GB SDHC card
> > in mmc0 but no filesystem mounted. I think the oops happened at
> > suspend/resume time. Previous kernel was 2.6.25-rc5-mm1 which didn't
> > exhibit this problem across multiple suspend-resume cycles.
> >
> > Complete logs and pretty much everything else you could want at
> > http://web.hexapodia.org/~adi/bobble/bobble_2.6.25-mm1-dirty_20080509100634/
> >
> > [104375.816331] BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000c
> > [104375.816338] IP: [<c02d86ce>] klist_del+0xe/0x30
>
> This could be one of those nasty situations where one driver leaves a mess
> behind it and then another driver later comes along and trips over that
> mess.

There were some problems with removing devices during suspend (which
the MMC layer does), but AFAIK those patches were backed out and were
only supposed to come back in a form that allowed such usage. Rafael
should have the most correct information on that subject.

Rgds
--
-- Pierre Ossman

Linux kernel, MMC maintainer http://www.kernel.org