Re: [RFC] Kernel naming convention in the merge phase

From: Oliver Hartkopp
Date: Mon May 12 2008 - 07:39:35 EST

Romano Giannetti wrote:
On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 11:06 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

Most of the robots don't have access to git.

For me a 2.6.25-gitX looks like a snapshot that leads to a 2.6.25.1 and _not_ to a 2.6.26-rc1.
Tough. It's a naming convention quite old (we had -bk before -git, too.)

What about a -rc0 as the first commit after a release? Will help a lot
automatic installing scripts...

Yes - this was also my intention. I don't have any preferences if the first commit after a release is named -merge or -rc0. But it should point out that we're leaving the former stable release.

Regards,
Oliver