Re: Many open/close on same files yeilds "No such file or directory".

From: Jesper Krogh
Date: Mon May 12 2008 - 02:41:26 EST

Neil Brown wrote:
On Friday May 9, jesper@xxxxxxxx wrote:
When I disabled the NFS-server and rand my "real-world" program on a
single processor (make -j 1). It ran through fine. It basically
gets around 20 million chunks out of differnet file and assemble the
chuncks in a few other files. This processes more or less 5 individual
sections, so make can run effectively with a concurrency of 5.

(For linux-nfs readers: the problem is that repeatedly opening a given
file sometimes returns a ENOENT - http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/9/15).

This thing really, really irritated me, but I must admit that Andrew Morton was very correct about this "not being very likely"- a kernel
bug.

It seem that our central configuration handling system (slack) was being
way to aggressive about updating symlinks in paths of the filesystems
that I was testing upon, that explains why I couldn't reproduce it
on the internal volumes, and not on any of the volumes I created only
for testing purposes. Sometimes you just get too blind..
(I haven't been able to reproduce for 12 hours now)

Just to answer your questions, yes, the 48 clients do hammer on NFS and
now it seems to work excellent.

Sorry for all the noise.

--
Jesper