Re: NIU - Sun Neptune 10g - Transmit timed out reset (2.6.24)

From: Jesper Krogh
Date: Fri May 09 2008 - 18:48:48 EST

Rick Jones wrote:
The number of contextswitches seems enourmous.. over 120.000 sometimes.
When transmitting around the same amount of data (4xgigabit bonded with
802.3ad) 4x110MB/s the amount of contextswitches only reaches 3-4.000. I
have no idea if this has any relevance.

Should this setup not be able to fill the pipe?

Into which slot was the Neptune inserted? (sure will be nice to have Alex Chiang's pci slot id patch in mainline one of these days :)

Is that slot x4, x8, x16?

I can find out excactly .. on monday. But shouldn't x4 be enough anyway?
wikipedia says 250MB/s pr. lane. And no slots is less than x4, so I
thought that it didn't matter to me.

To which cpu(s) were the neptune's interrupts assigned? (grep <ethN> /proc/interrupts)

Several

Is the irqbalanced running?

Yes. I started by not running it, but saw that cpu 0 was saturated by
ksoftirqd

Were any of the 16 CPUs in the system saturated during the test? (top with all CPUs displayed)

Yes..
Cpu12 : 34.2%us, 5.9%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 14.5%wa, 1.0%hi, 44.4%si, 0.0%st

All others have idle time.

Do you have/know of any diagrams showing the way the I/O slots are wired to the rest of the system?

I havent dug into that. Probably naive, as I as, I expected som hardware
guys as Sun to have taken care of that, when I bought the recommended
10g card for their own server.

Have you tried any tests without any filesystem involvement?

no not yet. I'll try that.

--
Jesper