Re: time stamped printks

From: Hinko KoÄevar
Date: Thu May 08 2008 - 08:11:29 EST

Gabriel C wrote:
David Miller wrote:
From: Hinko KoÄevar <hinko.kocevar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 10:26:01 +0200

Hi all,

I'm building latest GIT tree kernel for CRIS architecture. Right now I'm seeing some strange values with printk stamps - at the start they are initialized to 0, but quickly change to 42949372 - 0x028F5AFC.

Any thoughts to where to look for fix?
Very early in the boot, the timestamp counter fetching infrastructure
isn't setup yet. So zero is reported for the timestamp.

So early on in the boot, it is often not even possible to setup
such things yet. Because infrastructure they need for probing
etc. isn't even available yet.

This happens on basically every single Linux platform, there
isn't really anything to fix.

Hmm, I was under the impression that this was not an issue (at least not in 2.6.25).

For the early boot 0's it is normal but not for the following strange values :)

I agree.

I got the same problem on my 64bit box with latest git head and bisected it down to 3e51f33fcc7f55e6df25d15b55ed10c8b4da84cd

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/8/146

Well, cris architecture does not have CONFIG_HAVE_UNSTABLE_SCHED_CLOCK. I guess sched rework broker something since it was touched by the above commit, or..:

# CONFIG_CGROUPS is not set
CONFIG_GROUP_SCHED=y
CONFIG_FAIR_GROUP_SCHED=y
# CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED is not set
CONFIG_USER_SCHED=y
# CONFIG_CGROUP_SCHED is not set

From the 3e51f33fcc7f55e6df25d15b55ed10c8b4da84cd commit Changelog:
- architectures that have an 'imperfect' hardware clock can set
CONFIG_HAVE_UNSTABLE_SCHED_CLOCK

How can one do that? Just add it to the .config?

Regards,
Hinko

--
ÄETRTA POT, d.o.o., Kranj