Re: 2.6.26-rcX VC console scrolling regression

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Thu May 08 2008 - 05:13:53 EST

On Thursday 2008-05-08 06:46, David Miller wrote:

>Causes garbage characters to appear at the end of lines on my VCs when
>scrolling.
>
>They look like lowercase 'c' characters with a '.' above them, and they
>are colored light blue. The rest of the console text is fine.

i386 or sparc64?

In trying to reproduce it, Ubuntu already died on me (insert big rant
here) and I have no idea how to fix that if I want to keep the
stockness of the install:

-->>>--
sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Cache data unavailable
sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
sdb: sdb1 sdb2 < sdb5 >
sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
Done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ...
Done.
mount: Mounting /dev/sdb1 on /root failed: No such device
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ...
Done.
Done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ...
mount: Mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed: No such file or directory.
Done.
mount: Mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
mount: Mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu7) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)
---<<<---

>I think it might be because my VC gets put into a UTF8 mode or something
>like that via the init scripts?

opensuse also switches to utf8 (though noting that the kernel starts
with utf8 by default since 2.6.24) and I have not noticed anything bad.

Are you using a serial console?