Re: linux-next: WARNING: at kernel/panic.c:375 __stack_chk_test+0x50/0x54()

From: Kevin Winchester
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 20:24:49 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
Kevin Winchester wrote:
Hi Arjan,

There doesn't seem to be an entry in MAINTAINERS for stack protector, but your signoff was on the last stack protector related commit I could find, so it's probably a good bet.

I get the following in my dmesg after testing linux-next with the stack protector turned on. This is an x86-64 UP box if that helps. It appears to be related to the test for the feature (or perhaps that is supposed to happen when the feature is tested, I'm not sure...). Config below.

the important question is: exactly what gcc are you using? (and if you use a distro gcc,
which distro)

second question would be, what does the following command give?

echo "int foo(void) { char X[200]; return 3; }" | $1 -S -xc -c -O0 -mcmodel=kernel -fstack-protector - -o -

(this is the command from scripts/gcc-x86_64-has-stack-protector.sh that the kernel uses to test at compiletime
if you have stack protector support)

Ubuntu Hardy Heron

kevin@alekhine:~$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)

kevin@alekhine:~$ echo "int foo(void) { char X[200]; return 3; }" | $1 -S -xc -c -O0 -mcmodel=kernel -fstack-protector - -o -
bash: -S: command not found

I assume that $1 was supposed to be gcc, so how about:

kevin@alekhine:~/linux/linux-2.6/scripts$ sh gcc-x86_64-has-stack-protector.sh gcc something
something

So I would assume that means I pass...

Does that help at all?