Re: [patch 0/3] dynamic_printk: new feature

From: Nick Andrew
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 20:23:50 EST

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:45:06PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Add the ability to dynamically enable/disable pr_debug()/dev_dbg() in the
> > kernel.

Yes, that's the kind of thing I've been thinking about adding myself.

> > echo "add module_name" > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_printk/modules
> > echo "remove module_name" > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_printk/modules

How about not just debug messages but setting a loglevel for each module
(and/or subsystem?); kernel messages emitted beneath the loglevel value
to be discarded.

> We're now in the situation where numerous different subsystems have
> implemented private mechnisms for tuning their printk verbosity levels.

And it grows over time; just in the last week a patch came through to
V4L ...

From: Andy Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxx>

Replace the unconditional printk() messages with printk() messages that are
enabled/disabled by a "debug" module parameter.

[...]
+#define dprintk(level, fmt, arg...)

> Have you considered the feasibility of ploddingly converting each of those
> drivers, one at a time over to the new infrastructure? Because that's what
> we should do, I'm afraid.

I can help with that.

Nick.
--
PGP Key ID = 0x418487E7 http://www.nick-andrew.net/
PGP Key fingerprint = B3ED 6894 8E49 1770 C24A 67E3 6266 6EB9 4184 87E7