Re: Slow DOWN, please!!!

From: david
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 18:54:29 EST

From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 00:19:36 +0200

The same goes in the other direction as well - you were just hit by
scheduler tree related regressions that were only triggered on your
128-way sparc64, but not on our 64way x86 and smaller boxes.

You keep saying this over and over again, but the powerpc folks hit
this stuff too.

Well, I think that some changes need some wider testing anyway.

They may be correct from the author's point of view and even from the knowledge
and point of view of the maintainer who takes them into his tree. That's
because no one knows everything and it'll always be like this.

I think this is a very important point to keep in mind

Still, with the current process such "suspicious" changes go in as parts of
large series of commits and need to be "rediscovered" by the affected testers
with the help of bisection. Moreover, many changes of this kind may go in from
many different sources at the same time and that's really problematic.

git makes it easy to have many branches that get merged upstream, would it really help much if these changes were initially done as seperate branches and then merged in?

if so there are two ways to do this

have Ingo (and others) create a small forest of branches that get merged into linux-next

have Ingo (and others) create a small forest of branches that get merged into one 'please pull' branch that gets merged into linux-next

the second has the advantage that merge conflicts between the different branches will be resolved before they go upstream, and there's less work to be done upstream (as the upstream doesn't need to keep adding branches to pull)

the first may have an advantage in terms of making the different branches more visable.

In fact, so many changes go in at a time during a merge window, that we often
can't really say which of them causes the breakage observed by testers and
bisection, that IMO should really be a last-resort tool, is used on the main
debugging techinque.

there are always going to be cases where the problem can only be found by bisecting it, but I agree that there seems to be a little too much reliance on bisecting (but that was a heated topic a few weeks ago, let's not re-hash it now)

David Lang