Re: Slow DOWN, please!!!

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 18:21:19 EST

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > For busy (or lazy) people like myself, the big problem with linux-next are
> > the frequent merge breakages, when pulling the tree stops with "you are in
> > the middle of a merge conflict".
>
> Really? Doesn't Stephen handle all those problems? It should be a clean
> fetch each time?

It should indeed be a clean fetch, but I wonder if Dmitri perhaps does a
"git pull" - which will do the fetch, but then try to _merge_ that fetched
state into whatever the last base Dmitri happened to have.

Dmitry: you cannot just "git pull" on linux-next, because each version of
linux-next is independent of the next one. What you should do is basically

# Set this up just once..
git remote add linux-next git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git

and then after that, you keep on just doing

git fetch linux-next
git checkout linux-next/master

which will get you the actual objects and check out the state of that
remote (and then you'll normally never be on a local branch on that tree,
git will end up using a so-called "detached head" for this).

IOW, you should never need to do any merges, because Stephen did all those
in linux-next already.

Linus