Re: Additional kconfig targets (cloneconfig, nonint_oldconfig etc)

From: SL Baur
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 16:33:16 EST

On 4/30/08, Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:45:57 -0700 SL Baur wrote:

> > Is there any reasonable way to embed the configuration file name in the kernel
> > image like BSD does it? /proc/config.gz is a good way to retrieve way to
> > retrieve configuration information on a running system, not so good for pushing
> > kernels out to a network and keeping track of the config files on the build
> > machine.
>

> I don't know how BSD does it, but CONFIG_IKCONFIG does embed the
> config image in the kernel. It can be extracted with
> scripts/extract-ikconfig.

No, that's not what I meant. Now that we have a means of specifying
a configuration file by name, it would be nice if the file name could,
for example, be appended to EXTRAVERSION. That's all it would
take to duplicate the behavior I misdescribed.

Eg. `make K=HPxw4300.config ...' would have "-HPxw4300" appended
to EXTRAVERSION. Maybe this doesn't make sense any more, but it
was once something I wanted very much.

-sb