Re: Slow DOWN, please!!!

From: David Newall
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 09:04:39 EST

David Miller wrote:
> We're having ONE bad merge window, we're facing the problem
> head on, RIGHT NOW, to prevent it in the future. It's
> not a severe ongoing issue as you portray it to be.

No. The problem is more than just a bad merge window. There is poor or
non-existent review; frequent "regressions"; release of kernels as
stable when they are not. There is resentment and resistance to even
acknowledging these problems. Take, as an example, the desire to NOT
record who gives good code and who gives bugs: that one clearly hit a
nerve, which it should not have except from people who feel guilty.

I don't claim BSD to be perfect, but it appears to have a consistently
good quality. Old Linux kernels also have that; new ones not so.