Re: small author mixup

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 04:38:20 EST

Christian Borntraeger wrote:
Am Sonntag, 27. April 2008 schrieb Avi Kivity:
Carsten Otte (4):
s390: KVM preparation: provide hook to enable pgstes in user pagetable
KVM: s390: interrupt subsystem, cpu timer, waitpsw
KVM: s390: API documentation
s390: KVM guest: detect when running on kvm

Christian Borntraeger (10):
KVM: kvm.h: __user requires compiler.h
s390: KVM preparation: host memory management changes for s390 kvm
s390: KVM preparation: address of the 64bit extint parm in lowcore
KVM: s390: sie intercept handling
KVM: s390: intercepts for privileged instructions
KVM: s390: interprocessor communication via sigp
KVM: s390: intercepts for diagnose instructions
KVM: s390: add kvm to kconfig on s390
KVM: s390: update maintainers
s390: KVM guest: virtio device support, and kvm hypercalls

Thats interesting, some of these patches should actually be credited to Carsten - and in fact on kvm.git master they are credited to Carsten.

I think the problem is, that these patches contained multiple From lines. On kvm.git the first line (Carsten) was used. When you transferred these patches to the kvm.git-2.6.26-branch, git used the next From-line as the original one was already removed.

While it is not a typical case, is there a better way of specifying multiple authors to avoid future confusion?

It's probably due to my heavy use of git cherry-pick, rebase, and rebase -i. I couldn't reproduce this with a test that mimics that workflow, so either it has been fixed already, or it's a little more subtle.

I don't think you should change anything to avoid this. I'll keep an eye open for this, and if it happens again I'll fix it locally and send a proper bug report to the git mailing list.

--
Any sufficiently difficult bug is indistinguishable from a feature.