Re: Additional kconfig targets (cloneconfig, nonint_oldconfig etc)

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 02:35:36 EST

> > The commands we have today for kconfig is:
> >
> > # Command line variants
> > make oldconfig
> > make silentoldconfig
> > make defconfig
> > make XXX_defconfig
> >
> > (The other frontends are left out on purpose).
> > The challenge here is to come up with a syntax that
> > allows us to select between the three behaviours,
> > while keeping backward compatibility.
> >
> > The best suggestion I have so far is to say that:
> > a) if defconfig is specified then we use method 1)
> > b) if oldconfig is specified then we use method 2)
> > c) if newconfig is specified then we use method 3)
> >

> 'newconfig' sounds to me like you're creating a new config; the exact
> opposite of what it does. I'd suggest 'listnewconfig' or some such thing.
listnewconfig is better - will use that.

> Then again, 'defconfig' and 'oldconfig' are primarily what I care about,
> as I haven't been in a situation where I would have found method 3) to
> be useful.
>
> > And we add support for a new 'commandline' parameter
> > 'K' so I can say:
> >
> > make K=/proc/config.gz defconfig
> > make K=i386_defconfig defconfig
> > make K=i386_defconfig oldconfig
> > make K=/proc/config.gz newconfig
> >
> > So K is used to specify what config file we use
> > to start out from.
>
> Sounds good, I highly prefer specifying the config via env variable
> rather than embedded in the target (ie, 'make olpc_defconfig').
I will try to come up with some simple algorithm to locate the file.
I guess something like:

a) Try in local dir with name supplied
b) If filname does not start with '/' try in arch/$ARCH/configs/*
c) If filname does not start with '/' try in arch/$ARCH/configs/*_defconfig

If filename is prefixed .gz unpack it

Sam