Re: [2.6 patch] UTF-8 fixes in comments

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 19:06:18 EST

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:15:54PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > OK I could reproduce the case without ever involving either a shell or
> > readline or anything. Using "cat" as the init program exhibited the
> > anomaly, though it was not much easy to analyze. Then I switched to
> > "init=od -An -tx1 -".
>
> Did you put the console into utf-8 mode before the cat ?

I had not *explictly* disabled it, since as the doc suggests :

vt.default_utf8=
[VT]
Format=<0|1>
Set system-wide default UTF-8 mode for all tty's.
Default is 1, i.e. UTF-8 mode is enabled for all
newly opened terminals.

And I know that I can fix the behaviour by explicitly setting it to zero.
Also, the fact that "od" shows me multi-byte characters on the input
indicates to me that everything is set to UTF-8. So unless I'm missing
something, my console is set by default to UTF-8 (I test this on 2.6.25).

Regards,
Willy