Re: Western Digital GreenPower drives and Linux

From: Niels
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 11:23:24 EST

On Sunday 27 April 2008 19:45, devzero@xxxxxx wrote:

> on a second system , my wd drive shows this values:
>
> 9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 099 099 000 Old_age Always
> - 853
> 193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 170 170 000 Old_age Always
> - 90960
>
> absolutely scary.....
>
> meanwhile, i got wdidle3 from WD support and set it to 25secs (factory
> support seems to be at 8 secs) - but still waiting for an answer if this
> is a bug or not.
>
> i`m really wondering why support is so quiet here....
> anybody got a response from support about this?

[snip]

I contacted WD support, asking for wdidle. They asked about my drive, and
warned me that this application was meant for a specific drive and could
damage others. I replied with information about my drives and never heard
back. I repeated my request, without result.

This mess combined with disappointing performance from a couple of WD
Mybooks will certainly make me think twice before buying or recommending WD
for the foreseeable future.

//Niels