Re: [2.6 patch] UTF-8 fixes in comments

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 06:44:31 EST

> behaviour). The shell no, it was the one present on my machine and
> has never been compiled with UTF-8 support, and should not have to.

Bizarre, so you are using deliberately misconfigured ancient userspace to
complain about utf-8

> In my opinion, the problem is that when I press "Ã", the system sends
> two chars to the bash, which itself sends two chars to the terminal,
> which only displays one and moves the cursor one step ahead. Then,
> pressing backspace once sends one backspace all along, resulting in
> the terminal blanking one displayed char, but the shell not being

The shell puts the terminal in character by character mode and readline
does this. If you have your shell/readline deliberately set up not to be
doing unicode locales then it will do the wrong thing.

> So in my opinion, when we send one backspace to the terminal to
> remove one character, since there are two in the buffer, we
> should not get back one full char. Ideally, the console driver
> should send as many backspaces as needed to fix the multiple

The console driver isn't involved - readline took over for the shell, and
readline most definitely supports this in a utf8 locale.

Alan