Re: patch driver-core-warn-about-duplicate-driver-names-on-the-same-bus.patch added to gregkh-2.6 tree

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 06:42:18 EST

At Mon, 28 Apr 2008 21:58:49 -0700,
Greg KH wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 08:48:08AM +0400, Stas Sergeev wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > gregkh@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > > This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled
> > > Subject: driver core: warn about duplicate driver names on the same bus
> > > to my gregkh-2.6 tree. Its filename is
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Takashi, do you think this fixes the
> > pcspkr/snd-pcsp conflict sufficienly
> > well? I think the Kconfig protection
> > is no longer needed. For the better
> > convinience the modprobe rule can be
> > created that will remove one driver
> > before inserting another. But this is
> > optional.
>
> No, don't rely on the driver core warning and catching code errors like
> this, that's not a good idea at all. I like the warning and your patch,
> but don't assume it's always going to be there.

But multiple drivers for the same device are allowed on other buses
like PCI. I think this is no reason to prohibit the multiple platform
drivers for the same platform device.

Though, I think the snd-pcsp driver could be better built on the top
of input pcspkr driver, or coexist with it. Then we'll have no more
conflict about platform name space.

When you compare input pcspkr.c and sound pcsp_input.c, you can find
that most of codes are identical. What we'd need is a hook on
pcspkr.c that adds a dynamic check whether snd-pcsp (or any ohter)
is running.

thanks,

Takashi