Re: [2.6 patch] UTF-8 fixes in comments

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 19:12:54 EST

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 06:40:23PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> This patch converts some non-UTF-8 encoded text in comments to UTF-8.

Is this really needed Adrian ? I mean, everyone reads iso-8859-1, not
everyone reads UTF-8. Now I get random crappy chars which cripple my
xterms when reading such comments, and I have to do a full-reset once
I've read them. It's not as if it was *that* important, and to be
honnest, if you had not sent this patch, I would not even have known
that non-ASCII characters were here. However, it will quickly get
annoying if a recursive grep returns those pesky codes on non-compatible
consoles...

Quite frankly, it does not bring anything beyond trouble. I'm not adding
a NAK here because I find this rude, but I don't like the orientation
we're taking with the sources. We should not force people to install
version X or Y of a particular system just to read sources.

In fact, I would have better converted accentuated chars to their ASCII
equivalent to be more friendly with people who only read 7-bit.

Regards,
Willy