Re: Linux 2.6.25 (coretemp reads high temperatures)

From: Kasper Sandberg
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 14:21:10 EST

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 11:43 +0300, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 April 2008 04:51:48 Len Brown wrote:
> > On Friday 18 April 2008, Matthew wrote:
> > > Hi everyone, hi Linus,
> > >
> > > congratulations on this new great kernel-release :)
> > >
> > > I've another "regression" to report for 2.6.25:
> > >
> > > it's concerning much higher temperatures being read out by the
> > > "coretemp" kernel-module in comparison to 2.6.24* series
> > >
> > > e.g. where temperatures were around 40-47°C they are now constantly
> > > jumping around 55-70°C (even in idle !)
>
> I just updated from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25
> (I usually follow whole development cycle, but I was very busy, so I skipped 2.6.25 cycle)
>
> I confirm this.
> I *know* that temperatures reported now are wrong.

I too can confirm that it reports incorrect temperatures.

I have a Q9450, and this is my "sensors" output:
it8718-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
<snip>
temp1: +44°C (low = +127°C, high = +127°C) sensor =
thermistor
temp2: +22°C (low = +127°C, high = +60°C) sensor = diode
temp3: -2°C (low = +127°C, high = +127°C) sensor =
thermistor
vid: +0.000 V

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +44°C (high = +100°C)

coretemp-isa-0001
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 1: +44°C (high = +100°C)

coretemp-isa-0002
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 2: +43°C (high = +100°C)

coretemp-isa-0003
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 3: +41°C (high = +100°C)

temp2 is the cpu temperature(matches bios), temp1 is the northbridge(i
think, bios says "system temp").

i have watercooling, and well :P when i touch the "tube", its normal
room temperature, and believe me, i would notice if it was 45.. this is
with my cpu at idle - at full load on all 4 cores, temp2 says 35, and
~60 on coretemp, and THIS i would surely be able to notice over room
temp :)

any progress on this bug?