Re: [2.6 patch] fs/buffer.c:init_buffer() mustn't be inline

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 12:59:57 EST

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > Can somebody tell why this is not a gcc bug?
>
> It is a gcc bug.
>
> But having a global function marked as extern was already questionable,
> and all assumptions an "inline" would always inline the code are anyway
> now broken in your tree.
>
> So let's work around a gcc bug by fixing the kernel...

But when doing this, MARK IT LOUDLY AS A GCC BUG!

The thing is, reading that log message, it was not at all clear why that
change was made. Please make it clear why, rather than quoting a totally
useless error message that doesn't actually tell what is going on.

I agree that having work-arounds for compiler bugs is worth it (assuming
the version is common enough to worry about), but I also don't want to
have unexplained commits doing something that on the face of it is just
odd

Put another way: looking at the actual diff and looking at the commit
message, the only sane reaction from somebody who knows the code is:
"Whaa? WTF?". Saying "This is a gcc bug" would have turned that "WTF?"
into a "Oh, ok then".

Linus