Re: x86: fix a couple of sparse warnings

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 11:02:27 EST

* Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 05:43:25PM +0400, Dmitri Vorobiev wrote:
> > 2008/4/28 Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> > >
> > > /me wonders what was wrong with http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/23/131
> > > that contains a superset of the first patch
> > > (and got no response at all)
> >
> > Adrian, I am sorry for duplicating your work. The clash wasn't
> > intentional: I did not notice your earlier patch in the high traffic
> > of this mailing list.
>
> No problem, and I'm actually more interested why my patch got lost.

It's simple: in this case i had two patches in my backlog, one from a
new person and one from a frequent contributor - doing the very same
change. I preferred the newbie's patch, to encourage Dmitri to keep
contributing to Linux and to help him learn from the experience of
working with various Linux maintainers.

You contributed a lot of similar changes already, and are 1500 similar
patches down the line, and for "trivial" patches like this you probably
aren't going to learn anything new.

That doesn't mean your work is not appreciated - there's 5 of your
patches queued up in x86.git this very moment [one of them is a subset
of the patch you mention above] and a few more in my mbox, but it does
mean that for a case like this, the newbie's change wins. And that
applies to my own changes just as much : often a newbie submits a
cleanup that i have done already but i'll put in the newbie's patch and
drop mine.

Ingo