Re: stat benchmark

From: Carl Henrik Lunde
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 18:40:39 EST

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Soeren Sandmann <sandmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> Under the theory that disk seeks are killing us, one idea is to add a
> 'multistat' system call that would allow statting of many files at a
> time, which would give the disk scheduler more to work with.

Instead of a specific system call for "multistat" it would be interesting
to look at syslets. I'm not sure what the current state of that work is,
the last reference I find is http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/12/6/336 and more
interestingly http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/1/9/327

I guess it would be difficult to get close to the optimal disk schedule by
using syslets; if a directory contains 1000 files that would require 1000
syslets and a good I/O scheduler - that's unlikely to be feasible.

I've added Zach Brown to Cc because he authored the last syslet patchset.

--
Carl Henrik