Re: If you want me to quit I will quit

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 10:29:18 EST

Richard Purdie wrote:
Its worth realising that these fix patches contain useful information
too, e.g. they might be by different authors and its also interesting in
some senses to see what fixes were applied to the original patch, why
etc. since it is history and that is what the SCM effectively stores.

Important things can be noted in the patch description. We can also refer to mailinglist archives and bug trackers in the patch description.

Caveats: Changing the patch description means changing the patch identity (which different SCMs treat with different rigor). Also, a number of SCM tools assume that there is exactly one author of a patch. (Workaround: Track coauthors informally in the patch description.)

On the other hand I agree that the patches in -mm often have stupid
typos etc which aren't interesting in the history but where do you draw
the line?

Indeed. It's the question of when do I release what to whom.
--
Stefan Richter