Re: CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 08:14:26 EST

* David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: "Dave Airlie" <airlied@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:16:31 +1000
>
> > just because something lands in the core kernel tree doesn't mean it
> > is actually perfect, far from it..
>
> This is entirely missing the point.
>
> We get patches reviewed before they hit the tree, not afterwards.
>
> Ingo is making that impossible.

hrmpf. David, i can only repeat that what you say is plain out false.
The CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING patch was posted to lkml originally, about
two months ago:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/3/122

then it was re-posted at the time of the pull request as well:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/911104?page=last

and i just posted a (trivial) RFC patch to lkml today that would turn it
into a generic feature:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/27/47

so i'm not sure what this big fuss is about ...

Moving this (now apparently hotly desired!) feature from
arch/x86/Kconfig to init/Kconfig is no big deal and lets continue with
more important issues. No puppies got hurt, really :)

You can use the patch i posted or you've got my conceptual Acked-by for
touching arch/x86/Kconfig or can do it without asking - i dont mind -,
it's an obviously correct change that i not only wanted all along but
also implemented that way originally (twice!), until stupid lkml
objections forced it into arch/x86 as i went the path of least
resistance.

Yes, in hindsight, i should have stood up for that change and should
have made a stink about it on linux-arch but there's just so many
flamewars that fit into a day ;-)

Ingo