Re: If you want me to quit I will quit

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Apr 26 2008 - 16:35:55 EST

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:18:34 -0700 (PDT) Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So it's an important part of the process to try to do a good job, and not
> > publicizing crap - but it's *equally* important to realize that crap
> > happens, and that it's easily *more* distracting to try to clean it up
> > after-the-fact than it is to just admit that it happened.
>
> Fact is, this is the way in which developers want to work. That is their
> workflow, and their tools should follow their workflow. If a tool's
> behaviour prevents them from implementing their desired workflow, it isn't
> the workflow which should be changed ;)

But that was exactly my point. Bugs *will* happen. Follow-up patches
*will* happen. Don't fight it. Do the best you can do - there's no way
people will ever avoid all bugs to begin with.

And trying to white-wash things later is just pointless and actively
*bad*, when others have already seen and merged the original patches.

Linus