Re: If you want me to quit I will quit

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sat Apr 26 2008 - 13:20:56 EST

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:16:04 +0300 Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:44:20AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > git-tree owners might need, umm, some encouragement here. It's much easier
> > for them to slap the oh-let's-fix-that-up commit at the tail of their
> > queue, which leaves us with the straggly commit record.
>
> As far as I understand Linus on these matters people David Miller
> mustn't edit older commits in their trees once their tree got pushed
> out.

I expect that means "don't alter stuff after you've sent the pull request".
That'd be fairly dumb.

But during the two-month -rcX timeframe the patches in the git and quilt
trees get altered, dropped, reordered regularly. Some of the git trees
don't really exist, I believe - their owners assemble them from a
quilt-based master tree for external sharing only.