RE: [git pull] x86 PAT changes

From: Pallipadi, Venkatesh
Date: Sat Apr 26 2008 - 12:52:16 EST

Agreed that NONPROMISC_DEVMEM is not really needed for read/write. But,
we will still need it for /dev/mem.

The problem with /dev/mem maps of RAM is situation like this:
1) drivers does vmalloc(), followed by set_memory_uc.
2) User does a /dev/mem map of that vmalloced physical address. User
will get a UC mapping for /dev/mem.
3) driver changes the memory to set_memory_wb and frees the memory.
4) user mapping for this address is still UC which will lead to
aliasing.

Read/write is ok, as they will just use __va for RAM to access and that
will always be consistent.

Thanks,
Venki