Re: If you want me to quit I will quit

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sat Apr 26 2008 - 11:45:25 EST

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:23:41 +0300 Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 07:51:32AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:00:44 +0300 Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Why do other people get over 100 checkpatch fixes into the tree at once
> > > or Linus applies patches directly bypassing the maintainers (like the
> > > one you sent just before [3], which I've also already sent before [4])
> > > but my patches bitrot forever?
> >
> > If I am not cc'ed on a patch and have to resort to plucking it off the
> > mailing list it ends up being significantly more work and more error-prone
> > for me to process it.
> >
> > I used to merge your patches but then you chose to stop ccing me on them so
> > I stopped applying them. The increased hassle just isn't worth it for some
> > random make-foo-static patch. I do try to keep an eye out for more
> > significant changes but hey, stuff happens.
> >
> > You chose to disrupt the workflow and now you're here complaining and blaming
> > others for the consequences of your own action.
>

> Why didn't you tell me an explicit Cc is important for you?

Don't know, really. Something in me resiles from going and doing things
which increase the patch volume, perhaps.

> I'll resend my pending batch with a Cc to you.

OK.

Many of your make-static-foo-etc patches are in fact fixes against
recently-merged changes, I think. It's better to get those fixes folded
into the errant patch before things go into mainline: we get one correct
commit in the permanent record rather than one dodgy commit followed by a
later oh-let's-fix-that-up commit.

So I'd encourage you to try to catch these things in -mm or linux-next and,
if poss (and I know it's a bit of work), identify the offending commit.

git-tree owners might need, umm, some encouragement here. It's much easier
for them to slap the oh-let's-fix-that-up commit at the tail of their
queue, which leaves us with the straggly commit record.