Re: [RFC/PATCH] usb-storage: wait for device scanning before mounting root

From: Matthew Dharm
Date: Fri Apr 25 2008 - 11:36:32 EST

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:19:02AM +0300, Pekka J Enberg wrote:
> Hi Matthew,

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 09:30:52AM +0300, Pekka J Enberg wrote:
> > > So how does that happen? ->storage_probe fails and driver core calls it
> > > later at some point?
>
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> > There's no guarantee that storage_probe is going to get called in a timely
> > manner.
>
> How can we add such a guarantee? Don't we have this problem with any other
> storage devices?

I doubt it. It all depends on exactly when the USB controller initializes,
all relevant hubs get initialized, and the device finally discovered.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't have a left mouse button. I only have one mouse and it's on my right.
-- Customer
User Friendly, 2/13/1999