Re: [git patches] ISDN cleanups (modularization prep)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 22:47:20 EST

Frans Pop wrote:
(Let's change the subject back to what it was :-)

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Frans Pop wrote:
But when I tried to modprobe hisax, I got:
# modprobe hisax
FATAL: Module hisax not found.

Cause seems to be:
# depmod -a
WARNING: Module
/lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax/hisaxdiva.ko ignored,
due to loop WARNING: Module
/lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax/libhisax.ko ignored,
due to loop WARNING: Loop
detected: /lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax/hisax.ko
needs libhisax.ko which needs hisax.ko again!
WARNING: Module
/lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax/hisax.ko ignored, due
to loop
Yeah, that's what my patchset does -- splits the "hisax" driver into
multiple smaller drivers. Thus, "modprobe hisax" produces the results
that you are seeing.

Hmmm. Isn't that going to break things for existing users?

At present, yes. Ultimately I want to find a solution that doesn't break existing users, but I am still at the early "trying to see if it works at all" stage.

For example, I currently have this in /etc/modprobe.d/hisax to get the two cards to work correctly:
options hisax type=9,11 protocol=2,2 irq=10 io=0x398

This effectively translates to:
- ITK card: type=9 protocol=2 irq=10 io=0x398
- Diva card: type=11 protocol=2

To what would I have to change this?

Two changes:

1) 'type' is now automatically deduced based on your choice of driver, so it is not needed anymore.

2) The module options are passed to the specific module, rather than the hisax module.

'protocol', 'irq' and 'io' module options should remain completely compatible with existing setups.

You'll need to determine which newly-created kernel module applies to
your hardware. Let me know if you need help with that. The new drivers
should be in /lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax/
provided that you enabled them in the kernel configuration.

I think that I have the correct config (unset options omitted):
CONFIG_ISDN=m
CONFIG_ISDN_I4L=m
# ISDN feature submodules
# ISDN4Linux hardware drivers
# Passive cards
CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_HISAX=m
# D-channel protocol features
CONFIG_HISAX_EURO=y
CONFIG_HISAX_MAX_CARDS=8
# HiSax supported cards
CONFIG_HISAX_16_3=y
CONFIG_HISAX_IX1MICROR2=y
CONFIG_HISAX_DIEHLDIVA=m

Note that HISAX_16_3 and HISAX_IX1MICROR2 are y/n config options; making those modular is not allowed.

This results in the following modules under drivers/isdn:
/lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax:
hisaxdiva.ko hisax.ko libhisax.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/i4l:
isdn.ko

So AFAICT, I should still be loading hisax for the ITK card.

Also, I doubt that depmod is supposed to fail like the way I saw. Seems to me that the "loop" errors during depmod are the cause of the modules not being loadable.
Note that 'modprobe hisaxdiva' fails with the exact same message as for hisax and that depmod even explicitly says that the modules are "ignored"!

Yeah, it looks like the ITK card is still served by the main hisax module (not all were converted, just the ones related to PCI).

Maybe try manually modprobing libhisax and then hisaxdiva.

Also try disabling the ITK support in Kconfig and see if that at least permits you to load the hisaxdiva driver.

My apologies for all the caveats, this is quite raw code. I appreciate your taking a look at this!

Jeff