Re: 2.6.25-git2: BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffffffffffffffff

From: Jiri Slaby
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 18:57:56 EST

On 04/25/2008 12:41 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Jiri Slaby wrote:
20 arpings running on wlan0 (don't know if this is related so far), suspend,
resume, right after resume:

freed 114
alloced 115
freed 115
alloced 116
WHAT THE HELL (000a3ff8):
ff00aa00deadcc22 ff00aa00deadcc22 ff00aa00deadcc22 ff00aa00deadcc22

Very interesting indeed.

Shouldn't be 2.6.25 uttered as broken until this is solved to not corrupt
anyone's data? I'm going to play with that testing program further in the
meantime.

Do you actually see this with _plain_ 2.6.25? So far I've assumed that all the reports are about post-2.6.25 issues.

Blah, sorry, I lived in a theory, that Rafael got one from 2.6.25 and no, really, he had -git2 applied. Mea culpa, anyway I'll test 2.6.25 too, just for sure.

Also, it does seem like you can re-create this at will in ways that others can not. Could you try to bisect it a bit? Right now we have no real clue what it is all about, except that it seems to be related to suspend/resume and there are some indications that it's about networking (and _perhaps_ wireless in particular).

Not really. I have no idea what triggers it. Seems like suspend is some kind of catalyzer not working every time. I can't get it to crash for 1 whole day. Probably with the program (I hacked it a hour ago or so) it would be easier to reveal the error far before the crash itself. Will keep you informed. Now going to catch some sleep.