Re: [patch 00/13] vfs: add helpers to check r/o bind mounts

From: Al Viro
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 14:13:56 EST

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 01:29:49PM -0400, Erez Zadok wrote:
> In message <20080424142857.GF15214@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Al Viro writes:
> > On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 04:09:18PM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> [...]
> > FWIW, I'm not all that happy about the way ecryptfs_interpose() is done,
> > while we are at it. We get the sucker opened by whoever steps on given
> > place in the tree first, with subsequent operations done using the resulting
> > struct file. With fallback to r/o open. What happens to somebody who
> > tries to open it with enough permissions to do r/w?
>
> Yes, ecryptfs_interpose() calls ecryptfs_init_persistent_file() which calls
> dentry_open(O_RDWR). What's the proposed solution for this in the face of
> r/o vfsmounts? How could ecryptfs avoid calling this dentry_open in the
> first place?

Doesn't have anything to do with vfsmounts (you have one to deal with and
if it's r/o, it's equivalent to just doing the entire thing on top of r/o
fs; not interesting).

No, what I'm worried about is much simpler. Look: we have a file on
underlying fs, owned by root.root with 644 for permissions. Comes a
luser and tries to open the counterpart of that file in ecryptfs; that
triggers ecryptfs_interpose() and attempts to open file. Of course,
that's going to fail - it's not world-writable. So then it (actually
ecryptfs_init_persistent_file()) falls back to opening with O_RDONLY.
Which succeeds just fine and file (opened r/o) is set as ->lower_file.

Now comes root and tries to open the damn thing r/w. It should be able
to and if it came first it'd get it; as it is, what it gets is ->lower_file
and that puppy is opened read-only and you have no guarantee that underlying
fs will not go bonkers seeing write attempts on it (e.g. open for write
doing a bit more setup of ->private_data, etc.).