Re: x86: 4kstacks default

From: Eric Sandeen
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 11:46:41 EST

Helge Hafting wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> What actually brings bad reputation is shipping a 4k option that is
>> known to break under some circumstances.
>>
> How about making 4k stacks incompatible with those circumstances then?
> I.e. is you select 4k stacks, then you can't select XFS because we know
> that _may_ fail. Similiar for ndiswrapper networking, and other
> stuff where problems have been noticed.

Problem is, it's the storage configuration (at administration time, not
kernel build time) that matters, too.

I have XFS on Fedora with 4k stacks on SATA /dev/sdb1 on my x86 mythbox,
and it's perfectly fine. But that's a nice, simple setup. If I stacked
more things over/under it, I'd be more likely to have trouble.

-Eric