Re: Clock has stopped (time/date looping over 5 seconds), thingsare broken - what to check to debug?

From: Joel K. Greene
Date: Mon Apr 07 2008 - 07:37:26 EST

Hi Roger,

Does this sound familiar:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/14/178

We've been chasing this for quite a while. Our PIC gets in a bad state
where it thinks the CPU is in the ISR, and so won't give another int. We
haven't much of an idea of how we get in that state other than that
HZ=1000 makes it happen faster and HZ=100 causes it less often.

I think that if you look at jiffies you will see it is not incrementing.
The 4 second loop seems to be in the conversion from jiffies to wall
time.

It _appears_ that there is a race in the kernel that can be triggered by
any number of hardware issues. There's another thread by Gregory Stark
with the same symptoms - he thinks his was fixed by replacing a bad
DIMM.

Note that we first saw this on 2.6.16, and Gregory found it on 2.6.5.
We've seen systems run for a couple of months before seeing this, so
it's a bear to debug.

How often is this happening for you? How repeatable?

What hardware are you running on?

Joel.