RE: [RFC 00/21] Generic show_mem()

From: Luck, Tony
Date: Wed Apr 02 2008 - 17:55:37 EST

> Tony, as far as I understand, ia64 jumps holes in the memory map with
> vmemmap_find_next_valid_pfn(). Any idea if and how this could be
> built into the generic show_mem() version?

Perhaps it might be worth looking at this when ia64 slims down to
just one memory model (using sparse virtual mem map). But I don't
think anyone is actively working on this. Right now we have two
very different show_mem() functions for the contig and discontig
cases.

This whole function sends shivers down my spine for a large
system though ... that inner loop looks at every single page
structure ... on a multi-terabyte machine that could run to
billions of cache misses. Hope the users aren't in a hurry
to see the answer ... or doing something painful like:

# watch -n 1 cat /proc/meminfo

-Tony