Re: max_pfn: Uninitialized, or Deprecated?

From: Kevin D. Kissell
Date: Wed Apr 02 2008 - 04:30:37 EST

The patch you point to will maybe solve some initrd problems,
but I think it's treating a symptom rather than the cause. There
is other code, both generic and MIPS-specific (the APRP stuff),
that assumes that max_pfn is meaningful. Either we have to hunt
down and kill those instances (not really hard, but requiring several
maintainers working in concert) or we see to it that MIPS provides
a usable value. A value of 0 causes the system to treat the beginning
of kseg0 as "out of band" memory, which may work some of the time
for MIPSxxR2 processors, where the cacheable execption vector
base is set up to be beyond the kernel image, but for older processors
where the vectors are at the beginning of kseg0...

Regards,

Kevin K.