Re: checkpatch [was: include/asm-x86/serial.h: checkpatch cleanups - formatting only]

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun Mar 23 2008 - 13:37:03 EST

Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> It just spits out warnings/errors like compiler or some static
> analyzer, maybe I'm terribly missing something, what exactly do you
> mind on the output?

A good example are the trailing white space warnings in there. They
are just useless and a waste of time. That is something that really
should just be done automatically by maintainer scripts somewhere on
merge (and a lot of maintainers do it automatically), not waste the
valuable time of a human.

There are also a couple of other pointless warnings. e.g. I dislike
some of the style warnings -- they are far too broad. Or there
can be good reasons to violate them occasionally. e.g. I would
rather put not a space around an operator occasionally instead
of splitting an expression to avoid going over 80 characers.
Or the EXPORT_SYMBOL warning. WTF is that good for? Or
the warning about if () ... else { ... }.

Also checkpatch.pl --file seems to be a good candidate for one
of the worst ideas ever merged (to be fair it was difficult
to see it would become that bad in advance -- but it got)

On the other hand a few of the pattern matches are ful.

To fix the worst problems of checkpatch.pl one could probably
do something like this:
- Get rid of --file
- Drop at least 50% of the style warnings (or make them
not trigger unless a special option is given) and review all
the others.
- Concentrate on the really useful things like checking
for deprecated functions and pattern matching for a few
common mistakes.

-Andi